September 19, 2010

Sunny & Myla Meet at Last

My mom and I took Sunny, our 15 year old Shih-Tzu, to Champaign to meet Myla for the first time. We were able to take him to the foster home instead of going to the humane society to meet her, which was better for him in the long run. He would have gotten kinda nervous if he was around that many dogs, cats, and people, and my mom thought that it would remind him too much of the vet office, which he does not like to go to. We took him into the basement and brought Myla out. First thing that she did was pounce on him, which he thought was an "attack" and he went on the defensive. He never tried to bite her, just kinda growled his protest at her. So I picked her up and put her on the other side of a playpen (used as a fence in this case) and sat with her on that side. She kept whining because she wanted to play with him, but he kept his distance for awhile for fear that she would pounce on him again (He can't see very well and didn't see the fence). Finally, I got Myla calmed down, and Sunny was getting more and more curious, so I took her back to the other side of the playpen. I sat on the floor with her in my lap and didn't let her move very far away from me. Sunny kept creeping closer and closer to her, and finally laid down pretty close to her, while she was laying in my lap. My mom and I think they will be just fine together. Myla just needs to learn that she can't pounce on her new "brother" like she does with her littermates. Nothing that a little training can't fix!

Overall, the visit went great! A few more days and I can FINALLY bring my little girl home!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment